- For thus saith the high and lofty One, that inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite. Isaiah 57:15
- “Am I not a God near at hand and not a God far off? Can anyone hide out in a corner where I can’t see him?””Am I not present everywhere, whether seen or unseen?”Jeremiah 23:23-24
- God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” Hebrews 13:5-6
- God is bigger than big and closer than close. Our God is great not just because there is nothing in this world that is too big for Him, He is also great because there is nothing that is too small for Him.
- Think about those statements for just a moment…let them sink in. C.S. Lewis once wrote something very similar; “God is both further from us, and nearer to us than any other being.” This echo’s Jeremiah 23:23& 24.
- The big words that are used in theology classes for this big and small qualities of God are transcendence and immanence. Transcendence means that God is completely outside and beyond us; He is supreme, sovereign, all-powerful, omniscient and self-sustaining. The other side of this equation is immanence. Immanence means that God is infinitely close to us. He is closer than close. He knows our heart and mind, He is compassionate, He is merciful, gracious and sustains our every heart beat. His presence is here.
- Isaiah says that our God is the high and lofty One, the one that inhabits eternity. He is before and after any problems. How big is your biggest problem? God is bigger. He can deliver you, give you the ability to walk through it, and even transform the problem into a blessing. He is able to give you the capacity to reign over the problem, see through it and even expand your resources when they seem completely extinguished. Think of Israel in the desert with mana on a daily basis. The vast display of his power is ever on display every time we look up into the night sky. The heavens declare his glory. Our God is bigger than big, bigger than anything we might ever need.
- He is also closer than close. The thought that nothing is too small for him also stretches our brain cells in ways that we are not accustom to when we are thinking about God. His immanence is the hug that goes beyond the surface into the deepest part of our souls. Close means peace and yet strength. Close means personal and approachable. I’ve been challenged to think of the immanence or closeness of God in new ways. If he knows the number of hairs on our head and when a sparrow falls to the ground, then He can help me find a screw when I drop it in the gravel, or when I misplaced a tool or need to remember something important.
Deuteronomy 31:8 tells us: The Lord is the one who will go before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or abandon you. Do not be afraid or discouraged.
Our God is bigger than big, and closer than close! Our God is great. Nothing in this world that is too big for Him and nothing in our world is too small for Him.
Prayer: Thank you Lord for your abiding presence and your glorious power and strength. Help me be rooted and established in your love, so that I may have the strength to understand how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ for me and those I love so that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Thank you that you are bigger than big and closer than close!
November mBridge Giving Challenge: Hope Unlimited is a local ministry that supports first responders and our neighbors experiencing the worst day of their lives. Chaplains are sent out to minister to assist in crisis life and death situations. Hope unlimited also supports school districts in providing anti-trafficking curriculum and support to stem the growing tide of human trafficking. If you want to help, 100% of your donation will be directed to Hope Unlimited. Go to mbridge.global/give and click the Hope Unlimited button.