This devotional is adapted from a former post written a couple of years ago.
I have a friend who just moved into a new home. When I had the chance to take a tour the other day, while the house was fantastic, I was particularly impressed by how perfectly it fit their family and business. As I considered God’s provision, I found myself being thankful once again that God is involved in all the details of our lives, whether we know it or not. God’s word declares that “He knows the hairs on our head and where we make our bed.” He knows where we are and where he wants us to be. Scripture is packed full of “word pictures” about where we can make “our abode,” expressing His promises for his children.
- Psalm 91:1-2 say: Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.
Think of it, God’s proximity is a bonus feature for anyone living in his neighborhood. Then, consider the periodic episodes of God’s glory that can be seen, regardless of what season of life we are in or what direction we are facing.
- James 1:17 “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”
- II Corinthians 9:15 “Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!”
God’s gifts are more than we deserve, and His gifts are often left on the doorstep of our lives. Think about it, none of the gifts that come our way from God could ever be purchased by us, even for any amount of money.
Not only does He desire that we live in a place near his presence, but we get to live in a place of safety.
- “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.” Isaiah 41:10
- “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:20 NIV
No matter where you lay your head at night, these promises are for those who honor His name. Our God always provides for us the perfect place in which to live.
“Lord thank you that you are always with me wherever I go. Thank you that you have placed me in places where I can experience your presence, provision, and peace. Your promises are “yes and amen” both today and in every one of my tomorrows. Thank you that in you, I am safe and secure even when the world around me seems to be in chaos. Help me live by faith in the promise that you are with me, always!”